Sunday, April 24, 2011

CHALLENGE - BEST HAM

HER WAY: CROCKPOT COCA COLA HAM

This recipe can easily be adapted for the oven. Use the same ingredients, but increase the Coca Cola to 1.5 cups. Cover the ham with foil and bake for 3 hours at 450 degrees. I would not use Pepsi or house brands with this recipe. Pepsi could make the ham way too sweet and the house brands may not have the concentrated strength to properly flavor the ham.


1 large ham, precooked
1/2 cup Coca Cola (must be Coke)
Handful of dark brown sugar

The ingredients used in this recipe. Very simple and uncomplicated.



Put the ham into the crockpot. Yay! It fit in the crockpot. Unfortunately, I can't get the lid on it. So I'm going to cut and fit the ham into the pot to reduce it's height. It's perfectly acceptable because I've going to have the ham cut up into pieces when I serve it. No one will ever know unless we tell them. I also cut away any unnecessary and excessive fat that was on the ham.



Pour the Coke over the top of the ham. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the ham. Cover and cook for 7-8 hours on low.



The ham just came out of the crockpot ready to rest for about 15 minutes. You can see that the ham is a bit darker due to the Coca Cola, but it looks great. Plus it is so tender, I won't need a knife to cut it when I eat it. I basted the ham with the liquid from the crockpot before I tented it with aluminum foil.



My Easter dinner plate. We had the Coca Cola Ham, mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, corn, green beans w/ bacon, macaroni & cheese, Sister Shubert rolls and red velvet cake for dessert.




*************************************************************


HIS WAY: CLOVE HAM

I used an 11 pound Farmer John smoked ham. It's not overly salty and is always very juicy. Care must be taken when preparing this ham as it is easy to over cook it. The inside temperature should be 140 degrees. Some people cover their ham while it's cooking. I do not. After baking, the ham should rest a minimum of 5 minutes before slicing.


1 large ham, smoked
Cloves
Water

The ingredients used in preparing this ham.



On the ham, I cross scored the outer fatty area approximately a 1/4 inch deep.



Insert the stems of cloves into each corner of the cross scores.



Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan.



Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 15 minutes per pound.



The finished ham. The burnt area at the top of the ham is the fat that was not removed.



Which recipe was best?
His way
Her way
  
pollcode.com free polls

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures and nice step by step! I'm following you back from Gluten Free A-Z Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm all for cooking in the slow cooker, i just love it!! great blog! glad you came over to mine because now i found yours!

    ReplyDelete