Thursday, June 2, 2011

NEXT CHALLENGE: GRANDMA'S BEST SUMMERTIME DESSERT

Pete and I (along with our older sister, Linda and our younger brother Patrick) lived most of our childhood years with our cherished Grandparents. The memories of those years are thought of very fondly and with a lot of laughs. Pete and I agree that while Grandma wasn't an exceptional cook, she did have some dishes that were to die for! Pete and I were discussing some of those dishes the other day and discovered that we loved some better than others. Sounded like a good challenge to us!

I will be making Grandma's Strawberry Pie. One of the best things about Grandma's pies was the crust. I have NEVER in my life tasted a pie with a crust like hers. They looked and tasted scrumptious. Every pie crust was perfection. What always attracted me about her strawberry pie was that she baked her crust on the OUTSIDE of the pie pan. She never served the strawberry pie from a pie pan like she did all her other pies. It was served on a plate. BAD NEWS. . .I don't have her pie crust recipe and I'm not sure anyone in the family has it either.

Pete will be making Great-Grandma Ida Hodson's Cherry Cobbler Cake (using cousin Judy's icing). She was Grandma's Mother. We had a cherry tree in our yard so Grandma always had an abundance of fresh cherries for her recipes. Pete likes our cousin Judy's frosting better, so he switched it out. . .which is okay because Judy was Grandma Hodson's granddaughter.

1 comment:

  1. Nice, I spent a lot of time with my grandma and grandpa too. She is indeed where I got my love for cooking, many of her dishes...and HER pie crust recipe are on my kitchen blog and many memories of her are written on my other blog. She passed away 3 years ago and I do miss her. Looking forward to this challenge....mmmmm

    ReplyDelete